Wednesday 17th July sees in National Hot Dog Day, & both Linda McCartney & Big Easy have teamed up to create the perfect vegan hotdog available at Big Easy restaurants or at home. Keep reading to find out more!
There’s something for everyone this National Hot Dog Day, with Big Easy and Linda McCartney’s ‘Not Dog’
Introducing, the Linda McCartney’s X Big Easy Texan Vegan Corn ‘Not Dog’
Linda McCartney’s and Big Easy have created the ultimate in vegan dining with the launch of the brand new Linda McCartney’s X Big Easy Texan Vegan Corn ‘Not Dog’. Available for a limited time only and perfect for getting stuck into this National Hot Dog Day (Wednesday 17th July), the Not Dog is Big Easy’s first EVER vegan dish. Created by the experts in all-out American dining Big Easy, as a challenge from Linda McCartney’s, they have taken on the icon of the hot dog, making it meat-free. Made using Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages, the new Big Easy Texan Vegan Corn ‘Not Dog’ is inspired by the classic Corn Dog from the Texas State Fairs of the 1940s. Taking seriously succulent vegetarian sausages, dipped in corn batter and deep fried to a golden brown, fully loaded with smoky BBQ sauce, tangy chilli jam and topped with crispy onions in a soft bun. Lip-smacking taste, that’s 100% vegan.
This tasty collaboration sees Linda McCartney’s; the well-loved vegetarian brand founded by Linda McCartney, the original punk-pioneer of meat-free eating, come together with Big Easy, the original pioneer of BBQ and all things American restaurants to shake up the norm, taking on the iconic dish to prove just how indulgently irresistible meat-free eating can be. The hunger-busting ‘Not Dog’ has been created to offer veggies and vegans an option on the menu, as well as helping encourage Londoners to enjoy more meat-free meals!
Linda McCartney paved the way almost 30 years ago for today’s vegetarian movement. As the original meat-free pioneer, she inspired a generation and her legacy continues to reach far and wide today, with vegetarian and vegan eating fast becoming a norm.
Available at all Big Easy restaurants in Chelsea, Covent Garden and Canary Wharf starting from American Independence Day 4th July through to 21st July, you can chow down on the ultimate vegan feast. The dish costs £8 and £1 of every dish will go to the Trussell Trust food bank charity.
Head in to your nearest Big Easy on National Hot Dog Day (17th July) to be in with a chance of getting your Not Dog Where each Big Easy will be giving away the first 50 Not Dogs ordered for FREE. Or, if you can’t make it into one of the restaurants, follow Big Easy’s recipe below to make your own at home. You can pick up Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages from all major supermarkets.
To be in with a chance of winning a year’s supply of Linda McCartney’s share your creations on Instagram tagging @lindamccartneyfoods using #thelindanotdog this National Hot Dog Day!
The Linda McCartney’s Texan Vegan Corn ‘Not Dog’ by Big Easy
Makes 2 double size hot dogs
4 Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages
2 Large hot dog buns
Corn Flour Batter
75g Plain Flour
45g Yellow Cornmeal
1 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
1/2 tbsp Vegan Egg Replacer
1 tbsp water
125ml Oat Milk
50g Plain Flour
1tsp Cayenne Seasoning
1 tsp Paprika Seasoning
Pinch of salt & Pepper
1 Sliced White Onion
2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
100g Plain Flour
1tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
Vegan Barbeque sauce
- Firstly, make the Corn Dog batter by combining the plain flour, yellow cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Then add in the egg replacer with the water and gradually mix in the oat milk until you get a smooth batter.
- Next, make your seasoned flour by mixing together the plain flour, cayenne, paprika, salt & pepper in a bowl. Roll the Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages in the seasoned plain flour to cover the full sausages. Set aside to cook later.
- Next make your tobacco onions, by thinly slicing an onion into half-moon shapes and tossing them well in plain flour and Old Bay seasoning.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add enough sunflower oil to come halfway up the sides and heat to 170c. Dip the Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages into the corn batter mix and then fry in the oil until golden brown – around 5 minutes. Ensure you turn the sausages throughout cooking to ensure an even cook and golden colour. Once cooked, remove the sausage from the oil and place on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- While the corn dogs are resting, cook your tobacco onions. Use the same pan of oil as you did for the sausages and add the onion mixture to the oil and deep fry until golden brown – around 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain.
- Serve two Linda McCartney’s Corn Not Dogs in each of your hot dog buns, topped with crispy Tobacco onions, Chilli Jam and Barbeque sauce, Garnish with fresh coriander. Enjoy!
Check out Instagram for more delicious inspiration: @lindamccartneyfoods or visit lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk.